Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Week 11 - Anubis Gates


     Definitely a really fun fantastical read. Tim Power probably at his best with wacked-out time travel stories, and that's precisely what this is. He basically took the entire collection of English-language literary devices and tossed them into one book. Basically it is a story about time travel. It reminded me a lot of the Doomsday books by Connie Willis which is one of the best books I have ever read so I mean this a treat most definitely. The method of travelling is very original and the purpose very devious. Having travelled our hero spends a large part of the book living in the past and often suffering accordingly. We meet Coleridge and Lord Byron and travel geographically as well as time wise. Magic comes into play but it is a very flawed magic and does not always behave as it should. Occasionally I must admit it all got too smart for me and I got a bit lost as to who was who. Overall a clever, epic story. Time travel, body swapping, Dickensian London, Egyptian mythology, Romantic poets, evil wizards and exploration of fatalism, props to Tim Powers for managing to combine all this into something that wasn’t bad because with all these factors things can get messy and just not good. Good story, good characters, great settings and ideas, and the ending was my favorite part. I haven't read a time travel book in a long time, but loved this one, as the descriptions of London in 1812 were very rich. I loved how Lord Byron and other famous poets were running around, and the descriptions of all the beggars were fascinating.
  
                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment