Thursday, April 6, 2017

Bloodchild - Octavia E. Butler

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I was honestly pretty repulsed at some parts when she was trying to take out the grubs from Lomas’ body. The way it is described it quite grotesque. Saying, “It was thick and deep red with his blood - both inside and out. It had already eaten its own egg case” This story in general was quite strange from beginning to end. It’s an interesting topic definitely but the way it was presented and the way things were described was a definite turnoff for me.

2. What Connections did you make with the story that you read? Discuss the element of the work with which you were able to connect.

The element in this work that I was able to connect with were in two parts. The first being trying to help this stranger that is in desperate need. As any human I feel we have an innate instinct to help when others are in need. Second is towards the end when Gan had at first wanted to pass T’Gatoi to his sister but then realized that no he’d rather protect her and deal with T’Gatoi himself because he would rather have his sister reproduce and have babies feasting from her breast rather than through her veins. I have a sister that I would do anything for so in that moment I was triggered and it helped me relate on a personal level with this scene.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose? What changes would you make?


            I would probably make this into an animated film if given the chance. I think it would be interesting to come up with character designs for T’Gatoi. In an animated film everything that’s described here I feel wouldn’t seem as gory and could be cut right before the scenes where it does get gory but of course it’d be implied that it happened. This whole Sci-Fi feel seems to have a fantastical element to it which is more easily accomplished through animated films. I’m personally not a lover of gory things that’s why I’m more of an advocate for things like this being implied verses shown.

No comments:

Post a Comment